|←Believers Forbidden to Associate with Covenant-Breakers||Lights of Guidance by
Expulsion and Reinstatement; Protection Responsibilities; Books written by Enemies of the Faith
621. Expulsion of Covenant-Breakers
"The authority of expulsion and reinstatement will be exercised by the Hands of the Cause of God, subject in each instance to the approval of the Universal House of Justice."
- (From a letter of the Universal House of Justice to the Continental Board of Counsellors, June 24, 1968)
622. Protection Specific Function of the Hands of the Cause
"…although the Hands of the Cause of God have the specific functions of protection and propagation, and are specialized for these functions, it is also the duty of the Universal House of Justice and the Spiritual Assemblies to protect and teach the Cause—indeed teaching is a sacred obligation placed upon every believer by Bahá’u’lláh."
- (From a letter of the Universal House of Justice to an individual believer, May 27, 1966: Wellspring of Guidance, p. 86)
623. Expulsion and Reinstatement
"Authority for the expulsion and reinstatement of Covenant-breakers remains with the Hands of the Cause of God. All such matters will be investigated locally by the relative Continental Board of Counsellors in consultation with any Hand or Hands who may be in the area. The Continental Board of Counsellors and the Hands concerned will then make their reports to the International Teaching Center where they will be considered. The decision whether or not to expel or reinstate will be made by the Hands of the Cause residing in the Holy Land who will, as at present, submit their decision to the Universal House of Justice for approval."
- (From a letter of the Universal House of Justice to the Bahá’ís of the World, June 8, 1973)
624. Accomplishments to be Attained with the Covenant of the Everlasting Father
"The progress of the Cause of God gathers increasing momentum and we may with confidence look forward to the day when this Community, in God's good time, shall have traversed the stages predicated for it by its Guardian, and shall have raised on this tormented planet the fair mansions of God's Own Kingdom wherein humanity may find surcease from its self-induced confusion and chaos and ruin, and the hatreds and violence of this time shall be transmuted into an abiding sense of world brotherhood and peace. All this shall be accomplished within the Covenant of the everlasting Father, the Covenant of Bahá’u’lláh."
- (From the message of the Universal House of Justice to Bahá’ís of the World, Ridván 1973)
625. Course on Covenant-Breaking Should be Included in Summer School Curriculum
"…and your Assembly cannot be too careful or vigilant in watching over the Community seeking out the sources of corruption and protecting the friends. He feels that a course on Covenant-breaking should be included in the Summer School curriculum, so that the friends may understand the nature of this evil, and how it has affected our Faith for one hundred years, and other Faiths in the past. The American Bahá’ís, aside from the older ones, do not seem to have any concept whatsoever of what a Covenant-breaker is, and the place to educate them in these matters is in the Summer Schools and on other occasions when they meet in large numbers."
- (From a letter written on behalf of the Guardian to the National Spiritual Assembly of the United States, September 21, 1957)
626. Should Not Accept Contributions from Those Who Lose Voting Rights: They Can be Buried in Bahá’í Cemetery, Receive Charity
"… As contributions to Bahá’í funds are used to support the administration of the Faith, they should not be accepted from those who are deprived of their voting rights; but such believers, should not be prevented from being buried in a Bahá’í cemetery or receiving charity—which we even give to non-Bahá’ís—if in dire need."
- (From a letter written on behalf of Shoghi Effendi, May 8, 1947 to the National Spiritual Assembly of India: Dawn of a New Day, p. 123)
627. Literature Written by Enemies of the Faith
"In reply to your letter of September 20, 1975, the Universal House of Justice instructs us to say that the friends should be advised to ignore these books and any similar ones which might be written by enemies of the Faith. There should certainly be no attempt made to destroy or remove such books from libraries. On the other hand there is no need at all for the friends to acquire them and, indeed, the best plan is to ignore them entirely."
- (Referring to books by Hermann Zimmer and William Miller. Letter written on behalf of the Universal House of Justice to the National Spiritual Assembly of Panama, October 2, 1975)
628. Books by Unenlightened Enemies of the Cause
"It is better not to read books by Covenant-breakers because they are haters of the Light, sufferers from a spiritual leprosy, so to speak. But books by well meaning yet unenlightened enemies of the Cause can be read so as to refute their charges."
- (From a letter written on behalf of the Guardian to an individual believer, March 19, 1945: Guidelines for Local Spiritual Assemblies, pp. 107-108)
629. Obedience to the Center of the Covenant
"…whosoever obeys the Center of the Covenant appointed by Bahá’u’lláh has obeyed Bahá’u’lláh, and whosoever disobeys Him has disobeyed Bahá’u’lláh …."
- (‘Abdu’l-Bahá: The Promulgation of Universal Peace, p. 323)